- Describe the operating principle of inflatable devices boots.
Pneumatic air inflates & deflates rubber boots attached to leading edge of wing & stabilizers. Alternating cycle inflate & deflate. Breaks ice away from wing both wings operate at same time
- Why is it critical to prevent the formation of ice on aircraft wings and control surfaces?
Distorts airfoil shape reduces lift increases weight & stress
- What are two methods of inflating pneumatic deliver boots?
Pressurized air from engine driven pump(vacuum) or bleed air from turbine engine compressor
- What methods are used to attach devices boots to the leading edges of wing and tail surfaces?
Bonding to surface with cement, fairing strips and or screws
- What is the purpose of an air oil separator in a pneumatic driving system?
Removing oil & preventing deterioration of deice boots
- What is used to clean devices boots?
Mild soap & water
- What must be done before you make a cold patch repair to a driver boot?
Clean, fought the surface of the boot & patch, glue & attach
- What component of a pneumatic decider system normally allows suction to be supplied to the boots to hold them down in flight?
Solenoid distributor valve
- Describe the operating principle for thermal anti-icing systems?
Hot air passed though the space between skins, and heat is sufficient to prevent formation of ice or melt any next to the skin
- How can you determine if the heater in a pitot is working?
Turn on feel for heat
- What methods are used to supply heated air for thermal anti-icing system?
Bleed air from turbine engine compressor
Engine exhaust heat exchangers
Ram air heated by combustion heater
- how is overheating prevented in a thermal anti-icing system using bleed air?
Thermal switch will close the shut-off valve when temps get to 185F then shut off valve will open when temp drops
- What is the purpose of the de-ice boot electrical timers?
To inflate boots symmetrically and electrically each boot individually preventing overload Electrical system
- In a thermal anti-icing system, what happens to the air after it has heated the leading edge of the wing?
Exhausted to atmosphere at wing tip
- What problems are associated with electrically heated windshields?
- What is windshield delimitation?
Separation of plies
- What does arcing usually indicate in an electrically heated windshield?
Indicates breakdown in conductive coating
- Name the three methods of removing train from aircraft wiper systems.
- What type of power is used to operate windshield wiper systems?
Electrical or hydraulic
- What are common problems encountered with windshield wipers?
Aerodynamic forces hits wiper blades reducing the blade pressure on windshield
Fast enough wiper oscillation
- How does a pneumatic rain removal system work?
High pressure air blown across windshields prevents rain from hitting windshield
- Why should your windshield wipers not be operated when the windshield wipers are dry?