- Name the basic components of a communication system.
Headset or loudspeaker
- What is the most common communication system in use today?
It is the VHF system
- Which radio system is used for long range communication?
HF (high system) system
- What is a transceiver?
Self contained transmitter & receiver which shares same power supply, antenna, & tuning device
- What type of conductor is used for transmitting information between antennas and receiver/transmitters?
- Describe a BNC type connector.
Connector used with coaxial cable 1/4 turn to seat
- What are the components of a typical VOR system?
- What are the basic component of an autopilot system?
- What are the sensing elements of an autopilot system?
Turn & bank gyro
- What are the output elements of an autopilot system?
Servos which actuate control surfaces
- What are three types of servos used in autopilot system?
- What is the purpose of a bonding jumper/wire on a radio shock mount?
Provide low impedance ground return & minimize radio interference from static electricity
- What is the frequency of an emergency locator transmitter (ELT)?
121.5, 243.0, & 406.0 MHz
- How can you determine when the batteries of an ELT should be replaced?
Useful life is determined by the battery manufacture
Battery replacement date must be marked on outside of battery transmitter
Time is computed from the date of manufacture of battery
- Describe the proper method of routing coaxial cable from the antenna to the receiver.
Secure firmly every 24”.
Do not secure to other wire bundles use as short as possible cable
If bending 10x the size of cable diameter
- Where is the preferred location for mounting a VOR antenna on the small aircraft?
On top fwd part of cabin or on top vertical stabilizer
- Where should antennas be located?
Lower surface of aircraft not blocked by wings when banking
- Why are doubles required to be installed under aircraft skin when an antenna is mounted on the aircraft skin?
Prevent cracking in skin
- What are marker beacons?
Part of ILS system indicated aircraft position on approach to runway
- What is the indication of the middle marker beacon?
Amber light & audible tone
- What is an ADF?
Automatic direction finder
- What does DME stand for?
Distance Measuring Equipment
- What two parts make up the ILS system?
Localizer & glideslope
- Explain how to determine the pressure altitude to an airfield and how to set it in the altimeter.
Listen to ATIS and adjust to Barometric pressure altitude or adjust to field elevation then look at kollsman window for barometric pressure