What are some charactertistics of affective disorders?
- Disorders of mood
- Affect 10-20% of Americans
- More women than men
What is Unipolar Depression?
One or more prolonged episodes of depression measured in weeks
What are common signs of depression seen in old and young people?
- Old - insomnia
- Young - sleep
What are the 2 subtypes of Unipolar Depression?
- Primary Depression (endogenous)
- Secondary Depression (exogenous)
What are the characteristics of primary depression?
- Chemical imbalance
- Responds to antidepressents
What are the characteristics of secondary depression?
- Chronologically occurs with pre-existing nonaffective disorders, and develops because of nonaffective disorders
How is bipolar disorder classified?
Manic-depressive disorder - wide swings in mood from depressions to mania
Comorbidity between anxiety disorders and major depression exceeds _____?
What are some causes of depression?
- Imbalance in neurotransmitters
- Low levels of serotonin
What does serotonin do and how does it relate to symptoms of depression?
- Elevates mood
- Helps fall asleep and have good sleep
- Helps you feel full after eating
Symptoms of depression - follow same pattern:
- Depressed mood
- Sleep disturbances
- Fluctuations in weight
What are affective disorders associated with, concerning their etiology?
Noradrenergic and serotonergic neurotransmission in the brain
What is the biogenic amine hypothesis for affective disorders?
Depressions related to decreased levels of synaptically released norepinephrine and or serotonin in brain
Mania is a result of an excess of these transmitters
What's the limitation of the biogenic amine hypothesis for affective disorders?