Flashcards in BB LRGPHOR Ch7 - Rabbit Genetics and Models Deck (22):
1. Breeding stocks of domestic rabbits are derived from
2. The following genes determine the rabbit coat color except:
a. A – Agouti
b. B – Black
c. C – Coat
d. D – Dense/dilute
e. E – Extension
3. Size – which one of the rabbits is the largest in size?
4. True or False: Increasing uterine capacity increases uterine length and increases weights of fetus and fetal placenta in rabbits.
F – decreases weights of fetus and fetal placenta
Blood group antigens can be used to study genetic susceptibility of rabbits to rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus infection
7. Which inbred rabbit strain is highly susceptible to HSV encephalitis and used as a genetic model?
8. True or False: Thorbecke inbred line was originally developed from NZW rabbits and used to study susceptibility to Mycobacterium tuberculosis
10. Followings are the clinical features of WHHL inbred strain EXCEPT:
a. Elevated serous lipid
b. Elevated cholesterol
c. Elevated alpha – lipoprotein levels
d. Elevated beta-lipoprotein levels
17. Which one of the following is NOT a method for generation of transgenic rabbits?
a. Pronuclear injection of embryos at the single cell stage
b. Injection of genetically modified embryonic stem (ES) cells into blastocysts
c. Ovum-mediated gene transfer
d. Genetically modified somatic cell and nuclear transfer (cloning)
c - sperm-mediated
18. True or False: Majority of transgenic rabbits have been produced by genetically modified somatic cell and nuclear transfer.
F = majority produced by microinjection of a DNA construct into the pronucleus of embryos at the single-cell stage
19. Which one of the statements is FALSE?
a. Rabbit embryos are larger and slightly more opaque than mouse embryos
b. Rabbits embryos have thinner zonal pellucida due to formation of a thin mucin coat
c. Mucins are high molecular weight and heavily glycosylated proteins produced by epithelial cells of oviducts
d. Thick mucin coat may be related to delayed harvest of embryos from oviducts
e. It is desirable to transfer the embryos to oviducts within 2-3 hours of microinjection to allow mucin coat formation
b rabbits have thicker zonal pellucida
20. True or False: Successful cloning of the first rabbit from somatic cells was reported in 2002
21. Hepatic lipase overexpression in the transgenic rabbits showed:
Increase in HDL
25. All of the following statements are correct regarding Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy EXCEPT:
a. The gene responsible for HCM is the β-myosin heavy chain
b. Transgenic mice also develop left ventricular hypertrophy, the hallmark of HCM
c. Transgenic rabbits with cardiac expression of the mutant β-MyHC-Q403 protein are ideal model for pathogenic and therapeutic studies of HCM
d. Atrovastatin could prevent development of HCM in young transgenic rabbits
b – mice do not develop left ventricular hypertrophy
26. True or False: Rabbits are as susceptible to HIV-1 infection as rodents
F – rabbits are more susceptible to HIV-1 than other rodents
27. Which one of the statements regarding transgenic rabbits models for HIV-1 infection is TRUE?
a. In-vivo HIV-1 infection in transgenic rabbits has been reported
b. HuCD4 transgenic rabbits develop AIDS-like disease
c. Rabbits cells expressing both HuCD4 and human CCR5 were highly permissive for HIV-1 infection
d. Transgenic rabbits expression HuCD4 and human CCR5 are commonly used as rabbit model for HIV-1 infection
28. True or False: Cottontail rabbit papillomavirus has been used as an animal model to study the pathogenesis and development of prophylactic and therapeutic strategies for oncogenic HPV
29. Which one of the following statements is WRONG regarding transgenic rabbit models for HPV?
a. Rabbits expressing CRPV E6/E7 alone developed skin papillomas and squamous cell carcinomas
b. Rabbits expressing CRPV E6/E7 and EJras oncogene are born with extensive skin squamous cell carcinomas
c. Rabbits with targeted expression of EJras in the skin by CRPV showed growth of keratoacathomas
d. H-ras oncogene can increase the tumorigenesis/carcinogenesis of the oncogenic papilloma infection
a - Rabbits expressing CRPV E6/E7 alone developed only skin papillomas
30. Following animals are used as preclinical model for natural papillomavirus infection EXCEPT:
31. True or False: Retinitis pigmentosa is characterized by a progressive loss of rod, but not cone
F – loss of both rod and cone
32. Which one of the following regarding retinitis pigmentosa is INCORRECT?
a. Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is genetically heterogenous
b. RP is associated with mutations in several photoreceptor-specific and some non-specific genes
c. Mutation in the rhodopsin gene have been identified as the most prevalent class
d. Almost 85% of the autosomal dominant RP is caused by mutation in the rhodopsin gene
d – 25-40%