Flashcards in Candy Deck (7)
- plight of elderly, no pension etc.
- failed dreams, searching for dreams
- weak ones trapped on ranch due to age
Link to context
Hope yet Futility of dream
Lack of respect for marginalised
Lack of benefits for migrant workers
Importance of relationship with dog
'I had him so long. Had him since he was a pup (...) he said proudly'
- companionship for ranch workers
- brings him happiness like Lennie and George
- similar to when George says he's been with Lennie for so long, animalistic Lennie
Isolation of migrant workers
'A guy on a ranch don't never listen nor he don't ast no questions'
- isolation of migrant workers
- need to converse for friendship, lacking
- when converses with cw she dies, friendship is not possible, ranch workers destined for loneliness
Belief in American Dream
´I'd make a will an leave my share to you guys, cause I ain't go not relatives or nothing'
- no family
- willing to give up everything for Lennie and George liking him, wants someone to achieve dream even if not him
Regret for not shooting dog
'I ought to have shot that dog myself, George. I shouldn't ought to of let no stranger shoot my dog'
- lack of respect for dog
- foreshadowing George shooting Lennie