Flashcards in Chapter 18 & 19 Deck (5)
What are 4 critiques of school based sex curriculum?
1. Too little too late
2. Heavy focus on harm
3. Values differ from parents
4. Low quality
What are the 2 main goals for sexual health education in Canada?
1. Promote positive sexual health outcomes: informed reproductive decisions, fulfilling sexual relationships
2. Reduce negative sexual health outcomes: STIs, unwanted pregnancy, coercive sex
What are the key components of the IMB model? Describe them briefly.
Information: know why, know where, know how
Motivation: emotional, personal, social
Behaviour: practice and skilled
What are the 2 main criticisms of abstinence only programs?
1. Holds back important information needed for good decision making
2. Excludes queer identities