Flashcards in CSMA/CA Deck (6)
What does CSMA/CA stand for?
Carrier sense multiple access / collision avoidance
What does RTS/CTS stand for?
Request to send / clear to send
How is data broadcast using wifi?
It's broadcast over a number of channels which each uses a different frequency.
What is the implication/limitations of using channels over wifi?
- They have certain size or range, each channel is 22 MHz in size
- The range can also overlap or bleed through into the next channels range, this is mostly coped with by filtering
What are the steps for CSMA/CA with RTS/CTS?
1) First it checks if the channel is idle
2) If a signal is detected it waits a random amount of time and checks again
3) If it is, it sends a Request to Send
4) It waits for a Clear to Send from the WAP
5) If received, it sends it's message