Digestion/Nutrients Flashcards Preview

Health And Human Development > Digestion/Nutrients > Flashcards

Flashcards in Digestion/Nutrients Deck (34):
1

Protein

Build, maintains and repairs body cells. Eg. Meat, eggs

2

Carbohydrates

Provide fuel for energy. Eg. Pasta, bread, rice

3

Fibre

Acts to reduce the amount of glucose absorbed by the digestive system (type of carb) Eg. Grains and seeds

4

Good fats

Monounsaturated (10%) and polyunsaturated (5%)


Reduce levels of cholesterol. Eg. Avocado

5

Bad fats

Saturated (9%) and trans (1%)



Increase cholesterol levels in blood. Eg. Cakes

6

Water

No nutritional values

7

Calcium

Builds bones and hard tissue
Eg. Milk, cheese, yoghurt

8

Phosphorus

Works with calcium as a hardening agent for bones

9

Sodium

Excess sodium causes calcium to be excreted in the urine. Eg. Salt

10

Iron

Essential part of blood. Eg. Meat chicken

11

Vitamin A

Required for cell division.
Eg carrots

12

Vitamin D

Absorption of calcium from the intestines to the blood stream. Eg. Fish

13

B group vitamins

Essential in converting fuel into energy. Eg. Vegemite

14

Folate

Essential for growth an development
Eg. Citrus fruit

15

Metabolism

BMR

16

Excretion

Removal of waste from the body

17

Absorption

Transfer of nutrients from the digestive tract into the blood stream

18

Bolas

Chewed up food and saliva

19

Sphincters

Round bits of muscle that can be involuntary or voluntary

20

Simple carbs

Sugar

21

Complex carbs

Starches

22

6 categories of nutrients

Carbs protein fats water vitamins minerals

23

One gram of carbohydrates produces

16 kg of energy

24

Protein can Enhance the physical development of youth because,

It's builds soft tissues like organs and muscle

25

BMR

The amount of energy needed to sustain life (organs functions, glands excreting, nerves responding.)

26

How much energy expenditure is BMR?

70% the other 30% is activity

27

Factors that influence BMR

Age, growth, weather, body type, body size, gender, dieting

28

Age

BMR decreases as an individual gets older

29

Growth

People who are growing (youth) need for energy

30

Body size

Larger people have a higher BMR because they have a bigger surface area

31

Body type

Muscle requires a high BMR compared to fat

32

Gender

Males tend to have a higher BMR

33

Weather

Body has to work harder to maintain body temperatures

34

Percentage of diet

Carbs: 55%
Protein: 20%
Fats: 25 %