Flashcards in Eye Infection Deck (13):
- Iquix: 1.5%
- Dose: 1-2gtt Q2H first 2d, then 1-2gtt Q4h next 5d
- Dose: 1 gtt BID x 7d
- Dose: 1gtt BID x 7d
Besifloxacin suspension 0.6%
- Dose: 1gtt TID x 7d
Azithromycin Z pack
- Bacterial conjunctivitis
- Dose: 1 drop Q12H x 2d then once QD x 5d = 7d
- Storage: in the fridge b/4 dispense.
RM x 14d after opened.
- Indication: dry eye = xerophthalmia (Sjogren's syndrome cause dry eye)
- MOA: increase tears due to its immune-modulating and anti-inflammatory effects.
- Dose: BID. Pt can continue to artificial tears prn
Ophthalmic med counseling
- Check label, wash hand, shake bottle
- Take out contact lenses
- Tilt your head backwards and look up at the ceiling
- Tip of the bottle should not touch eye/eyelid. With your finger pull down your lower eyelid. Squeeze one or 1/2 inches ribbon of eye ointment into the space b/w lower eyelid and the eye ball
- Close your eye and with your ginger press the area b/w top of your nose and the corner of the eye to block the nano-lacrimal duct; this prevents quick emptying of th medicine into the nose. Wash hand again
- If you have more than one type of eye drop, wait 5-10 min b4 u put the 2nd medicine in. Wait 10-15 min before insert contact lenses.
Treat style eye
- Application of warm comprises
- Rec cleaning with soap or shampoo (baby) to help clean crusted discharge
- Can rec OTC product: polymixin B or bacitracin zinc
- Pt should avoid makeup until healed.
- Quixin: 0.5%