Flashcards in FINAL EXAM (TONY) Deck (36)
what is the major symptom of wind dampness?
what aggravates painful joints from wind dampness?
cold damp weather
what happens when phlegm and heat mix?
vicious cycle ... phlegm traps heat and the heat further dries the phlegm, making it thicker and harder to treat
compare and contrast
fu ling, fu ling pi, fu shen, chi fu ling
fu ling pi
chi fu ling
herbs that cool and transform phlegm heat ... focus on phlegm in what part of the body?
LU, ST & SP
respiratory and digestive tract
herbs that tonify qi primarily treat ____ and _____
tai zi shen is used for?
summerheat in children
tonify yang herbs primarily support of which three zang organs?
lu rong ... why is it salty?
b/c it is an animal product ...
functions of fu ling
1) Promotes urination and leaches out dampness;
2) Strengthens the Spleen and harmonizes the middle burner;
3) Strengthens the Spleen and transforms phlegm;
4) Quiets the Heart and calms the spirit;
indications of fu ling
1) Urinary difficulty, diarrhea, edema due to stagnation of fluids or dampness;
2) Loss of appetite, diarrhea, and epigastric distention;
3) Palpitations, headache, dizziness, and thick, greasy tongue coating;
4) Palpitations, insomnia or forgetfulness;
fu ling channels and properties
HT, SP, LU, KD
sweet and bland
fu ling c/i
sunken spleen qi
hou po channels and properties
LU, LI, ST, SP
bitter & acrid
hou po c/i
why can fu ling be used for hot and cold presentations?
b/c it is neutral in temperature
aromatic, transform damp
dispel wind damp
transform phlegm heat
transform phlegm cold
zhi ban xia
relieve cough and wheeze
relieve food stagnation
regulate bleeding, stop bleeding
regulate blood, invigorate blood
chuan xiong AND chi shao
warm interior, expel cold
zhi fu zi
tonify qi (5 herbs!)
tai zi shen