What does the integument comprise of?
Skin, nails, hair, sweat glands, sebaceous glands.
What are some of the functions of the integument?
Protection Prevent loss of water Temp regulation Metabolic regulation Immune Defense Sensory receptors Excretion by means of secretion.
What are the 3 layers of skin and what are they made up of?
1. Epidermis: Epithelial tissue 2. Dermis: Connective tissue 3. Hypodermis: Connective tissue, but not a part of the integument.
What are the epidermal Layers? What is the acronym?
1. Stratum Corneum 2. Lucidum 3. Granulosum 4. Spinosum 5. Basale Can Loud Girls Sing Base
What are the cell types of the epidermis, what do they do?
1. Keratinocytes: Most of the cells 2. Epidermal Dendritic Cells: Antigen presenting cells 3. Tactile cells: sensory cells 4. Melanocytes: Melanin producing
What can impact skin color?
Hemoglobin, melanin, and carotene
Benign tumor of blood vessals.
Depigmentation, melanocytes die or fail to make melanin
What are the two layers of the dermis? What are they made up of?
1. Papilary Layer, Areolar connective tissue, small vessels 2. Reticular (dense), very vascular irregular Connective tissue
What are Striae?
Torn collagen (stretch marks)
What are cleavage lines?
Orientation of collagen bundles.
What are alternate names for the hypodermis? What is its function?
Subcutaneous tissue or Superficial Fascia. It anchors skin to underlying structures, thermal insulation, energy reservoir.
What are nails?
Scale-like modifications of the epidermis made of hard keratin
What are the types of hair?
1. Lanugo (fetal) 2. Vellus (fine hair covering most of body) 3. Terminal (head, armpit..)
What are sebaceous glands?
Oil glands that produce sebum.
What are Sudoriferous glands? What are the two types?
Sweat glands. 1. Merocrine: Produce watery sweat 2. Apocrine: Produce fatty/protein sweat (armpits)
What are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns?
1st. Damages epidermis 2nd. Epidermis and part of dermis. 3rd. Damages entire epi and dermis, and deeper...
What is the rule of 9's?
helps asses degree/percentage of burns quickly on the body.
What is Basal Cell Carcinoma? How dangerous?
Cancer that originates in stratum basale. Lease dangerous type.
What is squamous cell carcinoma?
Arises from keratinocytes.
Most dangerous skin cancer arises from melanocytes.
What is the ABCD rule of melanoma recognition?
A= Asymmetry B= Border C=Color D=Diameter