Flashcards in Lesson 7 Endocrine System Deck (50)
What is hyperpituitarism (gigantism/Acromagely)?
1. Overproduction of growth hormone by the anterior pituitary gland.
2. Occurs in adulthood
3. Life shortening
4. Overgrowth of bones, soft tissue, and cardiac dysfuntion
What is the Etiology of Hyperpituitarism?
Benign slow-growing tumors in the anterior pituitary
S&S of Hyperpituitarism (gigantism/Acromagely)?
1. Excessive growth of long bones of body
2. Develops abruptly and causes abnormal height increase
3. Appear gradually causing deformation and coarsening of the facial features and enlargement of hands, feet, head and tongue
4. increased sweating, thick coarse oily skin, chronic sinus congestion
5. HEADACHES, weakness, joint pain, vision disorders
Treatment of Hyperpituitarism (gigantism/acromagely)?
1. Lower hGH level to normal
2. stabilize or remove tumor
3. radiation therapy
What is Hypopituitarism (dwarfism)?
1. insufficient level of growth hormone scretion caused by a pituitary tumor
S&S of Hypopituitarism?
1. slowly develops
3. low tolerance of cold
4. fatigue, anorexia, weight gain or loss
5. loss of skin pigmentation
Treatment of Hypopituitarism?
1. Replace the hormone with synthetic growth hormone
-only works if the bones haven't fused yet.
What is Diabetes Insipidus?
1. Diabetes means siphon (water passes right through)
2. Kidneys are unable to conserve water (decreased vasopression)
What is the etiology of diabetes insipidus?
1. Tumors- decreased vassopression (not being able to retain water
2. Removal of pituitary gland
3. kidney dysfunction
How to diagnose Diabetes Insipidus?
1. Dehydration test
S&S of Diabetes Insipidus?
1. DRY SKIN
2. Polyuria - increased urination-sticky
3. Polydipsia - increased thirst
5. weight loss
What is Simple Goiter?
1. Enlargement of the thyroid gland.
What is the etiology of Simple Goiter?
Thyroid gland cannot secrete enough T3 and T4 iodide horomones.
S&S of Simple Goiter?
Small or massive nodule in front of neck just above sternum
How to diagnose Goiter?
2. History and physical exam
Treatment of Simple Goiter?
1. Iodine supplements of T3 and T4 hormone help reduce goiter
What is Graves disease?
1. Over-secretion of T3 and T4 iodide hormones by thyroid gland
2. too much thyroid hormone - lose weight
S&S of Graves Disease?
2. patches on skin with an orange color
3. protruding eye - "frightened" appearance (exophthlamos)
Treatment of Graves Disease?
1. anti-thyroid medication
2. iodide compounds
3. remove thyroid (surgery) *will need medication permanantly
4. beta blockers
What is Hashimoto Thyroiditis?
Thyroid hormone gets to low because of inflammation.
S&S of Hashimoto Thyroiditis?
1. Lump on neck (large thyroid) w/pain and tenderness
2. fatigue and depressed
3. cold intolerance, dry skin and hair
4. dysphagia-discomfort swallowing
How to diagnose Hashimoto Thyroiditis?
How to treat Hashimoto Thyroiditis?
1. hormone replacement therapy
3. anti-inflammatory drugs
What is Hypothyroidism?
Body not producing enough thyroid hormone
S&S of Hypothyroidism?
1. muscle cramping
2. clouded thinking
3. dry skin
5. always cold
Treatment of Hypothyroidism?
Lifelong hormone replacement therapy (synthetic or animal derived)
What are the 4 types of Thyroid Cancer?
1. papillary 80% ages 30-50
2. follicular 10% over 50
3. medullary sporadic
4. anaplactic - very aggressive over 60 years of age
S&S of Thyroid Cancer?
2. swallowing difficulty
3. lump in neck
Treatment of Thyroid Cancer?