Flashcards in Life Calling Quiz 1 Deck (25):
The life calling will explore in the book
Direction is right their in hands of humans if they can only learn how to recognize it and follow it
One major reason people are not able to recognize a purpose in their lives
Society has often pressured them to chase after jobs and money by pursuing a typical career development model. But the problem is that this model tends to put too much emphasis at the beginning on careers and income instead of focusing on a higher purpose- a life calling.
The kingdom of this world
1) characterized it as a kingdom where people strive to save their lives, but in the end they lose their lives
2) kingdom where the goal is to gain the whole world, but people in this kingdom of the world achieve that kind of success at the cost of forfeiting their souls
The kingdom of heaven
people are willing to lose their lives for his sake, but in the end they find life.
-people deny themselves and, instead, take up their cross and follow Jesus
Kingdom of the World's Typical Career Development Model:
1. You are encouraged to determine your interests and then follow an educational or training plan based on these interests.
2. You are then directed to find a career that goes along with your education or training, based on the potential that it will also give you success and security.
3. You are finally left to make some sense of meaning in your life from what you experience in your job–a struggle that is usually futile.
The problem with this
- The initial interests have often been aroused, for the most part, by the amount of pay, job availability, and job growth.
- Although these concerns have some value, if you look at them closely, they very easily lead to a self-centered approach.
- These self-centered, quick-fix approaches are not from the kingdom of heaven and never bring long-lasting meaning, significance, and hope
Kingdom of Heaven's Life Calling Model:
1. The focus will not be on striving to better yourself, but, in contrast, it focuses on what God is doing and what you can do to join him in his efforts- that all people know Him and that we may serve Him in seeing that all people know Him.
2. Once this purpose has been discovered or recognized, then you can decide on a career that will help fulfill this purpose.
3. Finally, a decision on an educational or training plan that will help you prepare for that career can be effectively determined.
- You realize that your Life Calling is to experience all of life, not just a job; that is where you will begin to find long-lasting meaning, significance, and hope
saw the burning bush
put out a fleece—two actually
heard a still, small voice
A redirected Jonah
The prophets, like saw explicit visions
Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel,
being able to choose the right way out of all the options
Major theme/purpose throughout the book:
Living your life with a sense of purpose
Major goal of the book:
To help prepare each of us to make that discovery of a Life Calling
- To accomplish this, will look at concepts, lives of other people, and Scriptural insights
- Three main components—
Foundational Values, Unique Design, and Personal Mission.
- Each has three distinct elements
The study of human characteristics and dynamics and how this can help us understand what kind of person we are
- The study of ultimate meaning in the human experience and how this can help us understand the deeper meaning of our life
The study of how to create effective plans for our life and how this can provide us with a road map to follow as we pursue our Life Calling
Three groups of people we should observe from and follow:
Family , modelers, mentors
These assessments emphasize the measurement of strengths rather than highlighting weaknesses
These assessments explore personalities by primarily examining attitudes, preferences, emotions, and predispositions
Reflection accomplishes several things:
1. Helps us remember what we have learned
2. Helps us put what we have learned in perspective
3. Reflection can inspire us with a sense of God’s power to help us live out what we have learned.