Flashcards in Module 3 Deck (17)
Adaptive strategies that foster social-ecological resilience:
Sometimes improve peoples well-being.
What is the difference between management and governance?
Management is about __________ and governance is about ___________
Management- Implementing decisions and actions.
Governance- Sharing responsibility and power.
What statements apply to participation in environmental governance?
1) Effective participation requires managing power dynamics and special care to ensure representativeness.
2)Participatory tools and methods need to be adapted to the local context.
Which statements about social-ecological systems (SESs) are true? 2 answers
1) Linkages in SESs vary across space time and organizational units.
2) A SES consists of an ecological complex adaptive system, a social complex adaptive system and cross-scale linkages between both the ecological and social systems.
Which of the following provides an accurate description of adaptive governance? 4 points.
1) A process that considers policies and management actions as experiments that can also contribute to learning about the social-ecological system and its responses to management actions.
2) A process that encourages questioning values, ideas, government policies and norms based on new information.
3) A decision-making process that includes all relevant knowledge be it science, local or indigenous knowledge.
4) A process that promotes solutions that match the scale and complexity of the environmental problem.
The social well-being framework is a good complement to the ecosystem services and social-ecological resilience frameworks because: 3 answers
1) It takes into account relations of power and people’s preferences and choices.
2) The ecosystem services framework cannot account for people’s aspirations.
3) It takes into account relations of power and people’s preferences and choice, but cannot account for people’s aspirations.
According to the interactive governance theory, what are the three ideal modes of governance that correspond to the following management modes?
3) Hierarchal governance
what are the 7 principles for building resilience?
1. maintain diversity and redundancy
2. manage connectivity
3. manage slow variables and feedbacks
4. foster complex adaptive systems thinking
5. encourage learning
6. broaden participation
7. promote polycentric governance
what are the 12 principles of the UN permanent forum on indigenous notions of well-being that were not appropriately captures in previous definitions?
1. security of rights to territories, lands and natural resources
2. integrity of indigenous cultural heritage
3. respect for identity and non-discrimination
4. culturally-appropriate education
5. fate, control/ self-determination
6. full, informed and effective participation
8. access to infrastructure and basic services
9. extent of externL threats
10. material well-being
12. demographic patterns of indigenous peoples
What are the 3 dimensions of social well-being
what is material dimension
practical welfare and physical requirements of life such as income, basic needs (food, shelter) , physical health, clean water and air.
what is relational dimension?
includes friendships, family relations and living in a community that is not overridden by conflict.
what is subjective dimension?
cultural values, norms, trust, confidence and belief systems.
what is single loop learning?
correcting errors. goes from outcomes back to action
what is double loop learning?
adjusts values and policies. goes from outcomes to intention
what is triple loop learning?
decision governance norms and protocols. goes from outcomes to governance (beginning)