Flashcards in Randall and Ironside Study Questions Deck (7)
what are some assumptions about resource-dependent communities that are being challenged?
- community labour forces and economic structures are homogenous
- non-resource sectors play an insignificant role in the communities
- these communities are found primarily in isolated Northern regions
what is labour segmentation theory?
- labour force is expected to be segmented into primary and secondary components ("good jobs" vs. "bad jobs")
- men dominate the field and get paid more than women
Are resource-dependent communities homogenous?
- People work in other sectors besides resources
Are women working in industries?
- Although women are absent in some industries, they are playing more of a role in certain industries (ex. food-processing
- Women are important in these industries, and the more resource-driven the town is, the more women get involved
Part-time vs. full-time labour
- Part-time labour is increasing regardless of community type/sector
- there is evidence of restructuring -> cutting full-time employment
- the farther away a community is from a CMA (census metropolitan area), the higher the dependency
- median distance = 300km (ie. from Vancouver to Merritt)