Flashcards in Religion-Basic Theories Deck (12)
Critique Marx (3)
1. Turner - working class hav never been religious according to church attendance or membership
2. religion is often used for social change: liberation theology
3. didnt die during communist ussr (Muller)in world values survey
Define and exemplify Liberation Theology
+ political belief that religion should be used to voice for the oppressed and create social change
+ nicaragua: Somazas (autocrats) and Sudinistas (left leaning revolutionaries) supported by liberation theologists.
Marx- how does religion suppress the people? (3)
1. accept the current conditions
2. poverty is a virtue (trial to redemption)
3. you will have paradise once you die.
4. religious belief n supernatural helping, less inclind to revolution
Religion and symbols. Who and eg?
Religion provides a direct meaning - ring = married and symbolic meaning ring = deep commitment to each other.
Neonfunctionalists main new points (2)
Dysfunction of religion - causing conflict (Bruce), also Glock and Stark "it is divisive"
Religion now serves functions to some groups in certain ways, different than before.
1. explaining the inexplicable: why do we exist, why does XX happen
2. providing certainty in uncertain areas (fishing: fishermen used to pray or do rituals to feel secure when going on dangerous trips)
3. providing rituals which normalizeand help suffering to pass easily.
Alpert’s 4 Functions
Discipline - moral codes
Cohesion - rituals and shared symbols means social cohesion
Vitalization - of identity, and “social continuity” through socialization
Euphony - times of crisis and pain are alleviated through tension management and meaning.
Religion as Tension Management (2 people)
Parsons = in rituals, bring people together through structure. seconded by Malinowski
Farley = psychological support through religion
Kung on religion in general?
Provides a sense of identity moreso than anything else in an increasingly culturally diverse society
Neo marxist, religion is crucial and sometimes the only way to bring revolution
Religion can be conservative - Latin American Catholicism
but people can preach revolution - liberation theologists in L. America
Turner’s interpretations of Neo Marxism
+ guidelines and cohesion for the upperclass instead
+ shared practices makes them feel a class apart with emphasis on marriage and inheritance through religion = continuity to their domination of society