Flashcards in Test 3 Deck (16):
Definition of federalism
System of government in which a written constitution divides the powers of government on a territorial basis
What two types of government do we have?
Federal government and states government
What is the supreme law?
What is Delegated powers?
Powers that are given to the national government
What are the 3 types of delegated powers?
1. Expressed- specifically stated
3. Inherent powers- belong to the national government because the national gov of a sovereign state
Powers that are denied to the national government
Examples of denied powers
1. Bill of rights
2. Silent- if the constitution doesn't mention so,etching doesn't mean you can do it.
3. Cannot abolish states governments
Powers that belong to the state government
Powers that are only held by the national government
Example of exclusive power
Powers exercised by both governments
Example of concurrent powers
Federal obligation to the states
1) government must guarantee a republican form of gov.
2) must protect from foreign invasion and domestic violence
3) must protect state boarders
4) admitting new states
1. Grants- in-aid: federal money and resources given to the states. Many conditions on the grants
2. Block grants- same thing except barely any conditions
3. Revenue sharing- federal government gives a share of its tax revenue to the states
4. States aid to the federal government- states in charge of national elections
What are Interstate relations?
Relations between the states