Flashcards in The Cell Pt 1. Deck (21)
Name the 3 categories of a cell
What are Archae?
Very distinct cells, typically live in harsh envoriments.
What are prokaryotes?
(bacteria) Single celled organisms w/ no internal membrane structures.
What are Eukaryotes?
(Animals, plants) Single to multicellular organisms w/ internal membrane structures.
1st cells were observed by who & when?
Robert Hooke, 1600's
What are the 3 parts of cell theroy
1. Cell is the smallest unit of life.
2. All living things are made up of at least one cell.
3. All cells arise from pre existing cells.
Name the 4 steps of Koch's postulates of infectious agents
1. Infectious agent must be present in all individuals w/ the illness.
2. Must be able to isolate the infectious agent & cultivate it
3. Introduce the infectious agent to healthy individual & cause disease
4. Must be able to isolate the infectious agent from the newly ill
no membrane bound organelles (cellular organs)
adapted, most live in Extreme enviroments.
What is an extreamophiles?
Microorganism, Archaean, that lives in conditions of extreme enviroments.
What pH does Acidophiles live in?
Extremely low pH (1-2)
What pH does Alkaliphiles live in?
Extremely basic/high pH (12-14)
Where do Anaerobes grow?
In very little Oxigen.
Name the two types of Anerobes & where they grow
1. Facultative Anaerobes - Grow w/ or w/o Oxigen
2. Obligate Anaerobes - Obligated to grow w/o Oxigen (Oxigen is Toxic)
Where do Halophiles grow?
Grow in extreme salt concentrations
Barophiles grow in..
Extreme pressures (psi 14,500)
In or on rocky mineral environments
In very little water
Thermophiles grow in
Extremely high temperatures (>80*C)
At Cold temperatures (<15*C)
no membrane bound organelles