Which yersinia is the major zoonotic pathogen?
What disease does Yersinia Pestis cause?
What yersinia serotype causes enteric red mouth in fish?
*In rainbow trout- Fresh water fish
Is yersinia lactose positive or negative?
Yersinia stable toxin is unique to which serotype?
What does yersinia stable toxin cause?
Leads to opening of calcium channels with flow of water and sodium
leads to Diarrhea
What serotype of Yersinia has the murine toxin?
What species is Murine toxin toxic too?
mice and rats
What is the purpose of the murine toxin in Yersinia pestis?
enhances the bacterial colonization in the flea midgut
Cycle of Cat and Flea with Yersinia pestis
1. fleas become infected after feeding on mammal harboring the bacteria
2. rodents become infected when bitten by infected fleas
3. cats become infected by flea bites or consumption of infected rodents
4. cats can spread the plaque to humans via scratches, bites, and respiratory secretions
5. humans can also get the bacteria from flea bites
What is the pathogenesis inside the flea with Yersinia pestis
1. flea feeds on infected host
2. bacteria survive in macrophages and induce apoptosis and Type III secretion system
3. bacteria secrete proteins for further survival
4. Extracellular survival via siderophores and capsule
*First intracelular than extracellular
What species of flea is involved with Yersinia Pestis?
Xenopaylla cheopix- oriental rat flea
*cat and dog fleas (Ctenocephalides) do not typically transmit the bacteria
What happens to humans infected with Yersinia pestis?
case fatality 15%
via feline infection, airborne, flea bite, or ingestions of infected meat
What happens to cats that are infected with yersinia pestis?
fever, depression, anorexia, tonsillitis, pneumonia
symptomatic cases are often fatal
Yersinia ____ has an incomplete LPS because they do not have the ____ antigen
No O antigen
What kind of stain does Yersinia produce?
*looks like safety pin