Flashcards in 10-1/10-2/10-3/10-4 Deck (18):
Viruses that infect bacteria
Hershey's and chase experiment led to the conclusion that
DNA is the hereditary molecules in viruses
DNA can transform bacteria to one organism to another
Transformation of genetic material from one organism to grow to the next
Griffith's experiment included...
1. Injecting the mice with R and the mice being able to fight it off. Injecting the mice with S and the mice not being able to fight it off.
2. Wanted to to kill the S strain, heated up the S and injected it in too the mice. The bacteria couldn't do anything and then the mice was fine.
3.injected the mice with R and then injected the mice wth the heated up S and something happened, the DNA transformed the S back.
Oswald Avery and is colleagues showed that...
1. Figured out that when the S Bacteria was killed there DNA was still there witch got picked up the bad Bacteria causing it to transform into bad Bacteria.
2. Avery and Griffith used mice and bacteria, and that they figured out that DNA and Bacteria is a transforming agent.
Hershey and chase give...
1.Radioactive elements to viruses, viruses ended up have this protein coat that had radioactive sulfur.
2.They took this viruses and gave it to E. coli and they wanted to see what would be passed on. There was No Radioactive sulfur, there was only radioactive phosphorous witch meant the DNA is the hereditary material for viruses.
A pair of nitrogenous bases connected by hydrogen bonds.
Contains nitrogen atoms and carbon (c) atoms that is a base
The primary function of DNA in cells is to
Store information that tells the cells with proteins to make.
The two strands of DNA molecule are held together by
According to the base- pairing rules, guanine binds with
Which of the following is not a correct structure of a nucleotide
Adenine- ribose- phosphate
The percentage of adenine in DNA is
Equal to the percentage of thymine
What are the 3 parts of a DNA nucleotide, and how are they connected to each other.
-Deoxyribose sugar, A nitrogen base, A phosphate group
- The phosphate and base are connected to differ parts of the sugar
If 15% of the nucleotides in a DNA molecule contain guanine, what percentage of the nucleotides contain each of the other three bases
15% Because there all equal
Why is complementary base pairing important in DNA structure
The hydrogen bonds between the base is holding the two strands of DNA together and because it serves as a way for DNA to replicate.