Flashcards in 1a Introduction Deck (11):
Dry kibble: who, when, why?`
- James Spratt
- transatlantic passage
Milkbones: who and when?
- F.H. Bennett
What were dogs fed prior to the creation of dry kibble?
- table scraps
canned commercial food: who and when?
- Chappel brothers of Rockford Illinois
large quantities of dry dog food meal: who, when, why?
- mid 1920s
- Samuel and Clarence Gaines
- little prep
- large quantities
What is the advantage of canning?
- can make use of organs easily
What is a disadvantage of canning?
- once you open a can, it spoils quickly
What were some emerging brands in 1930?
Cadet and Snappy
How did WW2 affect dog food production?
- cans diverted for war effort
- by 1946, dry food make up 85% of total pet food in US
What are the 3 biggest pet food companies?
- Nestle Purina