Flashcards in Adolescence Deck (4)
What does adolescence mean?
-meaning of it depends on society in which is being used. = social contruct
- considered a 'social construct' as word invented to describe transitional period between childhood and adulthood, usually spanning 6-10 years. time when developmental changes occur.
- doesn't exist in all societies.
- recent term
many societies where word doesn't exist as concept doesn't exist
Where is the term mostly recognisable? Why?
- in westernised societies such as aus, britain, US as have a very diff course of development to other S+Cs.
- dont have cope with responsibilities of finding sufficient food to survive, guaranteeing shelter daily, or being responsible for physical survival of family units.
What is seen as the step towards adulthood in westernised societies?
- employments, part time jobs seen as gradual stepping stone towards adulthood.