Flashcards in Auto Flight Deck (48):
What is meant by DUAL, INDEPENDENT, and SINGLE FMGS modes?
Independent: each FMGC being controlled (crosstalk fails) by its associated MCDU.
Single FMGS: using one FMGC only.
You are in managed mach at high altitude, how do you change to selected speed?
SPD/MACH push-button, set SPD – PULL then press the p/b because it can’t be changed in the manage mode.
How is the metric altitude displayed? Exactly what information is displayed?
- METRIC ALT p/b
- Display the FCU altitude target in meters on the ECAM, or the correct altitude and FCU/FM altitude target in meters on the PFD.
What happens if you push the V/S knob?
Immediate level-off by engaging the v/s or FPA mode with a target of zero.
What information does the yaw bar give (ground roll guidance command bar)? And when is it displayed?
In green indicates the FD yaw orders, to maintain the aircraft on the TWY centreline, it displays when on the ground <30’ RA, provided that a LOC signal is available.
When is the autopilot first available for use?
Airborne for at least 5sec, pass 100’RA.
When can both autopilots be selected at the same time?
When the localizer/glideslope or rollout or go-around mode is armed or engaged.
Why should the autopilot NOT be switched off on the FCU?
The visual and audio warnings are continual.
The visual and audio warnings are continual.
What happens to the IAS bug if FD’s & AP’s are switched OFF?
ATHR reverts to selected SPEED mode except in APPR phase.
The descent profile should lead to what IAS at 1000’ above the runway?
What is signified by the MANAGED SPD RANGE bug in a managed descent?
Defines acceptable speed variations around the nominal descent speed target. +20 or +5 (depends on constraints) speed target.
A managed descent in a holding pattern gives what ROD?
What do the FMAs read if a lower attitude selected, and the ALT knob on the FCU is pulled?
When will ALT CRZ appear on the FMA?
Level flight at the FCU selected altitude.
In a managed descent the heading knob is pulled: what will be displayed in the vertical column of the FMA? What happens to the constraints? And in a managed CLB?
- Speed and altitude constraints are disregarded, but speed limit is retained.
Climbing to FL250 (on FCU): at FL225, FCU is now set to FL220. What happens? (Similar happens in descent).
A mode reversion occurs and v/s or FPA engages on current v/s or FPA.
What does SRS stand for and what does it do?
- Speed Reference System
- Controls pitch to steer the aircraft along a path in the vertical plan at a speed defined by the STS guidance law.
What is G/A TRK exactly?
Guides the aircraft along the current track at go-around initiation.
With the ATHR active, actual thrust will be limited to what?
Not greater than the thrust commanded by the position of the thrust lever.
In the armed mode, the actual thrust is equal to what?
Thrust Lever Position (TLA).
What happens to ATHR if the thrust levers are moved to idle?
The ATHR disconnects but, if crew engage the ATHR again, it activates the autothrust. Due to the lever position, IDLE thrust will be maintained. (A re-engage at idle position).
If the ATHR is switched OFF on the instinctive buttons, what happened to the thrust?
Thrust is immediately set to corresponding TLA.
In the CLB detent, with ATHR switched ON, what happens if the Thrust Levers are moved forward of the CLB detent? (TLA)
ATHR reverts from active to armed. ATHR turns to blue on the FMA and the thrust levers control thrust directly. FMA shows MAN THR in white. The thrust levers provide the flight crew with an immediate increase of thrust when both thrust levers are pushed above the CLB detent (2 ENG) or the active thrust lever above MCT (1 ENG).
At what RA is “RETARD” heard: on an autoland? And on a manual landing?
What is the Minimum Speed Possible with ATHR on?
What is G/S Mini?
To prevent the aircraft energy from dropping below a minimum level during final approach. Maintains a G/S rather than IAS in managed mode (increase in Head Wind = increases in Vapp).
What does a temporary white box indicate on an FMA?
- 10sec around each new annunciation.
- May increase to 15sec in some mode reversion cases associated with an aural triple click.
When does “LAND” appear on the FMA?
In green, LAND mode is engaged < 400’RA
How can you get out of “LAND” mode? (Bearing in mind this is a sub mode of ILS APPR mode).
- Upon engagement of the go-around mode
- If the flight crew presses the APPR p/b, when the aircraft has been on the ground for at least 10sec with AP off.
- When both AP/FDs are disengaged.
The message DECELERATE on the FMA is due to?
If the thrust is not reduced when passing the top of descent and the aircraft is above the descent profile.
The message MORE DRAG on the FMA is due to?
- Above the vertical profile and the predicated intercept point of the vertical profile is at less than 2NM from the next ALT CSTR, or
- In auto speed control and the aircraft enters a speed brake decelerating segment.
When will “SPEED SPEED SPEED” be heard? What does it mean?
- Low energy warning, repeated every 5sec, warns the pilot that the aircraft’s energy level is going below a threshold under which he has to increase thrust, in order to regain a positive flight path angle through pitch control.
- In config 2-FULL, aircraft config horizontal decal rate flight path angle.
- 100’ - 2000’RA.
What triggers ALPHA FLOOR? Must the ATHR be on first?
- When the aircraft reaches a very high-angle of attack.
- The flight augmentation computer (FAC) generates the signal to set TOGA thrust.
When is windshear protection available? When it is triggered and what do you see and hear?
- T/O: 3sec after lift-off til 1300’RA
- LDG: 1300’RA to 50’RA with at least config1 selected.
- Predicated energy level falls below threshold.
- “WINDSHEAR” red message on both PFDs for a minimum of 15sec, aural voice “WINDSHEAR” 3 times.
When is ALPHA FLOOR available?
- Alpha > a predetermined threshold that is a function.
- In config 3 + FULL, this threshold decreases.
- From lift-off until the aircraft reaches 100’RA in app.
What causes the memo “SPEED BRK” flashing (amber) to appear?
- When extended in flight phases 2-5 (Engine start – 1500’) flashes in amber.
- When extended in flight phases 6-7 (1500’ – touchdown) in green. Flashes in amber, after 50sec, if at least 1 engine is above idle.
What happens on the PFD altitude tape when the aircraft descends below MDA?
Altitude numbers change from green to amber when < MDA.
What is displayed in the top centre of the ND?
- ILS APP message (green)
- When select an ILS app on the MCDU
- FMS flight phase is DES, APP or GA, or the FMS phase is CRZ and the along track distance to destination is less than 250NM.
What happens if you press the ILS button on the EFIS control panel?
- ILS information (magenta)
o Ident, frequency, DME distance.
- ILS course pointer (magenta) on PFD/ND.
- ILS p/b illuminates green on EFIS panel.
How is the TO WPT easily identified?
- In white, every 2nd line in FLT PLAN.
- Top right corner on ND showing: WPT ident (white), track to go (green), distance to go (green) and ETA (green) with correct groundspeed, flying directly from present position.
What does a triangle symbol mean after a waypoint?
Flyover waypoint, pilot cannot cancel the overfly program if you do not want to fly over, you have to use DIR TO or heading mode.
A CSTR of +690 means what exactly?
Must be AT or ABOVE 690 degree by that point.
When on profile, extending the speedbrake in a managed descent does what?
Thrust increases to waste more fuel.
What happens if you fly over a Magenta D [in a circle] when in managed NAV?
Indicates the point at which the aircraft is predicated to decelerate for approach and thus switch to the approach phase.
What is the effect of activating the approach phase on the MCDU?
- Slow the aircraft to green dot speed.
- If the speed is managed (magenta) it will got to the speed associated with the current flap setting.
After a G/A, another what is then “strung” on the F-Plan page?
When the GO-AROUND phase is engaged, the previously flown approach is auto strung back into the flight plan at the end of the missed approach procedure.
After a G/A, how can you now follow the G/A Procedure? (G/A TRK will be the LAT guidance until you do something).
Pull HDG knob to select a heading, or Push HDG knob to engage NAV mode.