Flashcards in Chronic Conditions Deck (14):
What is meant by Chronic Illness?
Chronic illness is where the diagnosis is already known and the patient has been dealing with their condition for a period of time already.
- The focus for the doctor is helping the patient to manage their illness.
- For this reason, the history of the illness is important and the current activity of the disease.
Beyond the cardinal features, what is it important to ascertain for a chronic condition?
Psycho-social context of the patient:
- establish how the disease impacts the patients life
- establish how the lifestyle of the patient impacts on the disease
What is asthma?
Asthma is a respiratory disease characterised by inflammation which leads to an increase in airway responsivness to a variety of triggers
What are the typical symptoms of asthma?
How is severity of asthma identified?
- quantified using peak expiratory flow (basis for asthma treatment)
- frequency of symptoms
(need for GCS and hospitalisation can also indicate severity)
What are some common precipitating factors for asthma?
- viral illnesses, exercise, pollens, smoke, dust and cold air
What should you ascertain about the time course of a patient's asthma?
- onset: childhood? adult?
- occurences: daily? with seasons? infrequent?
- Change over time?
- Use of medications over time?
What are some relieving factors for asthma?
- removal of stimuli
- anti-asthmatic drugs such as bronchodilators and GCS
What are some associated features of asthma?
- atopic conditions (eczema, hav fever, hives)
What are some considerations for asthma in terms of severity?
- interfere with ADLs?
- comparison with previous attacks
- drugs/hospitalisations? frequency etc?
What are important elements of a social history?
- relationships and support systems !!
--> Who lives at home with you?
--> Where do you live?
- education and occupation !!
- religion and spirituality
- hobbies !!
- pets !!
- travel !!
What are important elements of an occupational history?
- may be due to occupational exposure
- ask about current/previous employment
- be sensitive to unemployment and issues surrounding job security
- how does work impact illness/illness impact work
- tasks at home
What are the elements of the atopic triad?