Flashcards in Chronic Conditions Deck (14)
What is meant by Chronic Illness?
Chronic illness is where the diagnosis is already known and the patient has been dealing with their condition for a period of time already.
- The focus for the doctor is helping the patient to manage their illness.
- For this reason, the history of the illness is important and the current activity of the disease.
Beyond the cardinal features, what is it important to ascertain for a chronic condition?
Psycho-social context of the patient:
- establish how the disease impacts the patients life
- establish how the lifestyle of the patient impacts on the disease
What is asthma?
Asthma is a respiratory disease characterised by inflammation which leads to an increase in airway responsivness to a variety of triggers
What are the typical symptoms of asthma?
How is severity of asthma identified?
- quantified using peak expiratory flow (basis for asthma treatment)
- frequency of symptoms
(need for GCS and hospitalisation can also indicate severity)
What are some common precipitating factors for asthma?
- viral illnesses, exercise, pollens, smoke, dust and cold air
What should you ascertain about the time course of a patient's asthma?
- onset: childhood? adult?
- occurences: daily? with seasons? infrequent?
- Change over time?
- Use of medications over time?
What are some relieving factors for asthma?
- removal of stimuli
- anti-asthmatic drugs such as bronchodilators and GCS
What are some associated features of asthma?
- atopic conditions (eczema, hav fever, hives)
What are some considerations for asthma in terms of severity?
- interfere with ADLs?
- comparison with previous attacks
- drugs/hospitalisations? frequency etc?
What are important elements of a social history?
- relationships and support systems !!
--> Who lives at home with you?
--> Where do you live?
- education and occupation !!
- religion and spirituality
- hobbies !!
- pets !!
- travel !!
What are important elements of an occupational history?
- may be due to occupational exposure
- ask about current/previous employment
- be sensitive to unemployment and issues surrounding job security
- how does work impact illness/illness impact work
- tasks at home
What are the elements of the atopic triad?