Flashcards in Chronic Kidney Disease Deck (20):
What is the definition of chronic kidney disease?
Progressive decline in GFR with a duration of at least 3 months with OR without albuminuria
What is the most common population for CKD?
What are the two major disease causes of CKD?
HTN and diabetes
What is CKD a major risk factor for?
Why do so few patients actually need RRT?
Most will die of CVD before ESRD
What stage of CKD is the most commonly seen in the US?
What is the most common cause of CKD in the US?
What is the pathogenesis of CKD from diabetes?
• Angiopathy of glomerular capillaries
• Diffuse glomerulosclerosis
• Nephrotic range proteinuria
- Uncontrolled blood glucose is a major risk factor
What is the pathogenesis of CKD from HTN?
• Hyaline ateriolosclerosis of small arteries and arterioles
• Resulting ischemia leads to chronic tubulointerstitial and
What are some glomerular diseases that can lead to CKD?
• IgA nephropathy
• Post-infectious glomerulonephritis
• Membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis
• Lupus nephritis
• Rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis
Post-infectious Glomerulonephritis Common Findings
High ASO titre, low serum complement usual findings
• Caused by deposits in the GBM and the mesangium
• Complement activation leads to glomerular destruction
What is the most common stage of lupus nephritis?
Stage IV is most common and most severe
What are the clinical sequelae of lupus nephritis?
• HTN, hematuria, proteinuria/nephrosis
• Progressive CKD, thrombophilia
Who is the main patient population of membranous nephropathy?
What are some common presentations of amyloidosis?
- Enlarged tongue
- Heart failure
Cholesterol Atheroembolic Disease Pathogenesis
Occurs when cholesterol is released from an atheromatous plaque into the bloodstream and it usually happens after vascular surgery or intervention
What is a major sign of cholesterol atheroembolic disease?
Livedo Reticularis Rash
What are the goals of Stage IV CKD management?
- HTN Control
- Proteinuria Reduction
- Manage Bone Disorders - Hyperparathyroidism (serum PTH is increased)
- Manage Anemia