Flashcards in CIRCULATORY SYSTEM PT 2 - BLOOD VESSELS Deck (17)
What is the function of the Arterial System?
Carries blood away from Heart to different regions of body
Explain the sequence of the Arterial System.
- Arteries divide into Muscular Arteries
- Muscular Arteries divide smaller into Arterioles (Resistance Vessels)
- Arterioles enter tissues, dividing into Capillaries (Exchange Vessels)
- Capillaries exchange substances between blood and tissues
What is the function of the Venous System?
Carry/return blood to Heart
Explain the sequence of the Venous System.
- Capillaries 'reunite' to form Venules
- Venules merge forming larger Veins
- Veins merge into the Vena Cavae
What are the 3 layers that surround the lumen of the Blood vessel? From deep to superficial.
Describe Tunica Intima.
Inner layer - contains Endothelium and CT basement membrane
Describe Tunica Media.
Middle layer - contains Elastic Fibres and Smooth Muscle
Describe Tunica Externa/Adventitia.
Outer layer - contains Elastic and Collagen Fibres
Which blood vessel layer supports and anchors blood vessels to surrounding structures?
Decrease in lumen size
Increase in lumen size
Explain the function of the Arteries.
Stretches to accommodate blood flow
Recoils to force blood forward
Explain the function of the Arterioles.
Regulate blood flow by constricting and dilating vessels
Explain the function of the Capillaries.
Transport nutrients and waste exchange
Explain the function of the Venules.
Blood flow from Capillaries to Veins
Explain the function of Veins.
One-way valve preventing back flow of blood