Flashcards in Electricity in the Home Deck (8):
List the electrical hazards in the home (9)
1) Longs cables 2) Frayed cables
3) Cables in contact with something hot or wet
4) Water near sockets 5) Shoving things onto sockets
6) Damaged plugs 7) Too many plugs in 1 socket
8) Lighting sockets without bulbs in
9) Appliances without their covers on
Explain what a three-core cable is
Connects an appliance to the mains.
Three wires, each with a core of copper and a coloured plastic coating
What are the 3 wires?
Describe the live wire
In a mains supply alternates between high +ve and -ve voltage
Describe the earth wire
Green and yellow.
Used to protect the wiring, and for safety - it works together with a fuse to prevent fir and shocks It's attached to the metal casing of the plug ad carries the electricity to the earth, should the live or neutral wire touch the metal case
Describe the neutral wire
Blue, always at 0 V. Electricity normally flows in and out though the live and neutral wires only
Describe how a plug is wired, including safety features (4)
1) The right coloured wire is connected to each pin and is firmly screwed in
2) No bare wires sowing inside the plug
3) Cable grip tightly fastened over the cable outer layer
4) Different appliances need different amounts of electrical energy. Thicker cables have less resistance, so they carry more current