Flashcards in Series Circuits Deck (9):
Describe series circuits
The different components are connected in a line, end to end, between the +ve and -ve of the power supply (however voltmeters are in parallel)
What happens when you remove/disconnect a component from a substance?
The circuit is broken and they all stop
Describe potential difference in series circuits
The total P.D of the supply is shared between the various components. So the voltages round a series circuit always add up to equal the source voltage
What is the symbol version of p.d in a series circuit?
V = V₁ + V₂ + V₃ ....
Describe current in series circuits
1) In a series circuits the same current flows through all parts of the circuit. A₁ = A₂
2) The size of the current is determined by the total P.D of the cells and the total resistance of the circuit (V=IR)
Describe resistance in series circuits
1) The total resistance = the sum of all the resistances
R = R₁ + R₂ + R₃ ....
2) The bigger the resistance of a component, the bigger its share of the total p.d
[ ] is shared
[ ] is the same everywhere
[ ] adds up
Describe cell voltage in series circuits
Cell voltages add up
1) There is a bigger p.d when more cells are in series, provided the cells are all connected the same way