Flashcards in Extra Revision Deck (14):
Explain the role of Ctenocephalides Felis in the transfer of feline infectious Enteritis ?
- Caused by a virus ( strain of Parvo)
- Blood sucking parasite
- Flea transmits virus through its saliva
- feeds on infected cat then feeds on healthy cat infecting it.
Describe the size structure and appearance of staphylococcus aureus?
- 0.5-5 Bacteria gram positive Cocci stains purple looks like a bunch of grapes
- Has DNA molecules at the centre no Flagellum
- has cell wall in capsule
- DNA Surrounded by cytoplasm no nuclear membrane
- Organelles found in Cytoplasm
Describe the size structure and appearance of Microsporum Canis?
- 3 um in size is a fungus
- from the Dermatophyte Groupe
- Has Hype tiny tubles filled with cytoplasm + several neucli
- Micronidia cells are 5-15 cells wide
- Leisons are 3-9 cm round
- crusty Leisons with puritic skin plus hair loss
- is highly contagious passed by fomites or direct contact
Which two clinical conditions can be assets thro PCV ?
Anaemia and dehydration
Will be less serum if dehydrated
Less RBC if aneamic
Explain the procedure used to determine the SG of a urine sample ?
- Wear correct PPE
- Calibrate refractometer with distilled water to 1.000
- dry off prism with tissue
- Gently invert urine
- place 1-2 drops of urine on the Prism
- hold refractometer up to the light
- where white and blue line meet take reading and record results
- clean refractometer and dispose of and waste in clinical waste
Explain how the Protozoan parasite Toxaplasma Gondii reproduces ?
- Final host is the cat
- Oocyst's passed in the environment via hosts Feaces
- Oocyst's are then consumed by intermediate host
- once in the system of the int host they divide into Tachyozoites and bradyozotes
- parasite migrates to the tissues it will stay here until elated by the definitive host
- will then move to the SI of the cat to reproduce
Explain the size structure and appearance of canine Parvo virus?
- Is a Virus 20nm in size
- Icsosandreal in shape
- Has a genetic core called the genome
- Genome is protected by the capsid
- capsid is made up of protein sub units called Capsometers
Explain the size structure and appearance of Chlorella Pyrenodosa?
- Is a uni cellular Algae - 5um in size
- Thin cellular wall, has a cell membrane
- has chloroplast
- Takes Sun, water and Oxygen to produce food for its self
- as a species it is 5-20 um in size
Method for a PCV sample ?
- Wear gloves, select EDTA sample agitate gently
- place a plaine microhaematocrit capillary tube in blood sample / hold sample at an angle fill 3/4 full
- place finger over the top remove from capillary tube from blood
- wipe tube with tissue seal end with Crystoseal
- place blood sample in centrifuge Crystoseal end facing outwards
- Always place another tube directly opposite to balance
- screw down inner lip and lock the top
- Spin at 10,000 rpm for 5mins
- Dispose of any waste in hazardous waste
Method for reading a PCV?
- Remove from centrifuge measure PCV using Hawksley Microhaematocrit reader.
- Place tube in groove on reader with clay seal pointing downwards
- line up top of Crystoseal with the zero line at bottom of reader
- Move tube across till top of plasma lines up with the diagonal line at the top of the reader on 100%
- Move adjustable PCV line reader till it meets with the top of the RBC column
- reader the measurement on the right hand of the scale as a percentage
Normal SG parameter for a Dog?
Normal SG range for a Cat?
24 - 45 %
Requirements for posting a sample ?
- Wear PPE, check sample is preserved correctly
- Ensure container is labels correctly date, time,name,sex,breed