What are outbred lines also called?
What are inbred lines also called?
Name some characteristics of outbred stocks?
- heterozygosity undefined
- genetic profile unkown
- random-mated, close colonies
- high reproductive performance and high vigor
- phenotypically variable
- not identifiable - not defined by genetic profile
- cheap and large
resemble human population
How are inbred strains defined?
The result of more than 20 consecutive generations of brother-sister mating
An inbred strain may be regarded as an immortal clone of an almost constant genotype
Name some properties of inbred strains
- phenotypic uniformity
- long term stability
- individuality of the strain
- internatl distribution
- identificaition (PCR primers available)
- senstivity (to, e.g., environmental factors)
When should outbred stocks be used in research?
- large amounts of tissue
- base population for selective breeding
- genetic mapping
When should inbred strains be used?
In all cases where use of outbred stocks is not particularly justified
What are F1 hybrids?
- Cross between 2 inbred strains
- heterozygosity high
- robust - high vigour
Name main causes for genetic change