Name advantages of using large animals as models
- repeated blood samples possible
- tissue biopsies
- longer life-span
- similar size to that of humans
Name disadvantages of large animal models
- limited number of animals for practical and economical reasons
- handling can be cumbersome
Where can you sample blood from pigs?
- jugular vein
- ear vein
- mammary vein
- retroorbital plexus
Name three different pig/swine kinds
- Yorkshire (pointy ears standing up)
- Hampshire (belt)
- landrace (ears hang down)
Why do you use minipigs for long-term studies?
They don't grow that big
What are Göttingen minipigs bred from?
minnesota minipig + vietnamese pig + landrace
What are the 3 As in pig research?
- Analgesia and Anaesthesia
- Aseptic procedures
What are dogs used for in research?
- test new pharmaceuticals
- toxicity - non-rodent model
- surgery - transplantation
- insulin 1920s breakthrough
- Gi tract
- new vaccines for dogs
Where are cat models used?
Research on primates
Research areas that use rabbits