Act as erythrocytic parasites?
Types of lice?
- Pediculus Humanus Capitis
- pubis crabs bro
Examples of Nematodes?
- Hookworm disease
- Filariasis-Riverblindness, Loa loa, Lymphatic (can live there)
What are the antimilarial drugs?
How are these administered?
Either prophylactically or as definite therapy
Artemisinin is a?
How does it work?
- Its a sesquinterpene lactone endoperoxide
Name the quinolines
What are there adverse effects and how do they work?
Chloroquine, Mefloquine, Quinine, Primaquine
- Hematologic abnormalities, hemolysis, prolonged QT, hypotension
- Quinine can cause cinchonism, tinnitus, headache, nausea, dizziness, flushing, visual disturbances
Metronidazole? And Tinidazole
How does it work?
What is it good at fighting against?
What are its three functions of killing?
Does a ton of things, it kills trophozoites but not cysts by causeing DNA damage.
Good for kill Clostridium
Kills: Amebiasis, Giardiasis, Trichomoniasis
Dry mouth, nausea, metallic taste
Amebicidal, bactericidal, Trichomonicidal
- Inhibits the polymerization of microtubules
- Intestinal parasites: Cysticercosis, Acariasis, Enterobiasis (pinworm)
- Hydatid disease (Echinococcus via dogs)
- Neuro Cysticerosis
- Schistosomiasis blood flukes?
Kill sexual stages and prevent transmission to mosquitos?
What can lice transmit?
As a result causes?
- Causes paralysis by intensifying GABA-mediated transmission of signals in peripheral nerves crazy
- Onchocerciasis: River blindness
- Ectoparasites such as scabies
Sexually transmitted parasitic infection?
Only one gone over in class
What does it stick to and damage?
- Adheres to and damages squamous epithelial cells
- coexists with gonorrhea
Eliminate developing or dormant liver forms?
Can cause what type of liver disease?
- most important parasitic disease
- Causes dysentary as a result of cytotox. on colonic epithelial
- Can also cause amebic liver disease
What is pentamidine?
What is it used in?
- Used in african Trypanosomiasis - Sleeping sickness
- Its highly toxic
The most common cause of water borne disease in the US?
What is the oldest and highly effective antimalarial blood schizonticide?