Flashcards in Legislation Deck (34)
Outline the contents of the Agriculture (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1968, Animal Welfare Act 2006 and the Welfare of Farmed Animals (England) Regulations 2007 as these applies to Emergency slaughter
- Offence to cause unnecessary pain or distress to any livestock, domestic or captive animal
- AWA imposes duty of care on anyone responsible for an animal to take reasonable steps to ensure animal's welfare needs are met
Outline the contents of the Welfare of Animals at Markets order 1990
- Covers sale of animals at livestock markets
- Offence to present an animal at market that is "unfit"
- Article 3: in relation to an animal or bird, infirm by virtue of being diseased, injured or fatigued
Outline the contents of the Welfare of Animals (Transport) (England) Order (WATO) 2006 and the Council Regulation (EC) 1/2005 on the protection of animals during transport and related operations
- No person shall transport animal or cause animals to be transported in a way which causes or is likely to cause injury or unnecessary suffering to the animals
- Defines specific conditions which render animal unfit to travel
- Regulation specifies that an unfit animal may be transported under veterinary supervision to the nearest place for veterinary treatment, or nearest available place of slaughter if not likely to be subject to unnecessary suffering by reason of its unfitness
Outline the contents of the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995 (WASK) as amended, and WASK Northern Ireland regulations as it relates to slaughter
- Implement EU Council directive 93/119
- Provide for humane treatment of animals at slaughterhouses, knackers yard and elsewhere
- Slaughter defined as causing death of an animal by bleeding and killing as causing death by any means other than slaughter
Outline the TSE legislation as it relates to slaughter
- RegulationEU 999/2001 as ameded
- Sets of TSE controls including those for SRM and BSE testing
- Arrangements for interpretation and enforcement set out in TSE (England) Regulations 2008
What is covered by Regulation (EC) 852/2004
The hygiene of foodstuffs
- Rules for all FBOs, including farmers
What is covered by Regulation (EC) 853/2004?
- Specific hygiene rules for food of animal origin
- Including rules for slaughterhouse operators check
- FCI check
What is covered by Regulation 854/2004?
- Specific rules for the organisation of official controls on products of animal origin intended for human consumption
- Including rules for OVs in slaughterhouses
What is outlined in EC directive 80/778?
Requirement for the provision of potable water in food production facilities
What is covered in the EU regulation 1099/2009?
Regulation on the protection of animals at the time of killing
What is legislation used to implement the EU regulation 1099/2009?
The Welfare of Animals at the Time of Killing (WATOK)
What is covered by the EC directive EC 2007/43?
- Mininum rules for the protection of chickens kept for meat production (into force on 1st July 2010)
- Legislative provisions to welfare of broilers on farm
- Animal based outcome parameters used to identify possible on farm welfare problems
What regulation covers the microbiological criteria for foods?
EC regulation 2073/2005?
What is covered by Regulation (EC) 2160/2003 and 646/2007 and how are these implemented?
- Salmonella testing
- Implemented in UK through National control programme
What are the main 3 pieces of legislation regulating egg production? How are these implemented
- EC 1234/2007
- EC 617/2008
- EC 589/2008
- Implemented by The Eggs and Chicks (England) Regulation 2009
What is covered by the Commission Regulation (EC) 1234/2007?
Controls of eggs from Salmonella infected flocks of laying hens
What is covered by the Commission Regulation (EC) 617/2008?
Rules for implementing EC 1234/2007 as regards marketing standards for eggs hatching and farmyard poultry chicks
What is covered by the Commission Regulation (EC) 589/2008?
Rules for implementing EC 1234/2007 as regards marketing standards for eggs
What is covered in the Zoonoses order 1989 as it relates to egg production?
Isolation of Salmonella from specified animals, carcasses, products, feeding stuffs etc. should be reported to DEFRA/APHA
What is covered by the Control of Salmonella in Poultry order, 2007?
- Dictates sampling requirements for Salmonella in breeding and laying flocks (NCP for Salmonella)
- Implements EU regulation 2160/2003
- Restrictions imposed on flocks/produce which test positive for certain serotypes esp. Enteritidis, and TYphimurium serotypes
What is covered by Regulation (EC) 178/2002 with regards to game meat?
Covers general food law requirements, including traceability of food, feed and food producing animals
What is covered by Regulation (EC) 852 and 853/2004 with regards to game meat?
- 852: general hygiene rules applying to all food businesses
- 853: additional hygiene rules to businesses producing food of animal origin
- 853 Section Iv of annex III covers wild game in approved game handling establishments
What is covered by regulation (EC) 2073/2005?
Microbiological criteria for food stuffs
What is covered by EU regulation 200/2012 with regards to sampling?
Samples in disease outbreaks must be processed within 48 hours
What legislation covers the transport of animals and related operations?
Council regulation (EC) 1/2005
What pieces of legislation apply to the handling and disposal of ABPs?
- (EC) 1069/2009
- (EC) 142/2011
- The Animal By-Products (Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2013 Si No 2952/2013
- The Animal By-Products (Enforcement) (Wales) Regulations 2014 SI No 2014/517 (W60)
- The European Hygiene Package (Regulation EC 852, 853, 854/2004)
What is covered by EC Regulation 1069/2009 with regards to ABPs?
- Repeals Regulation EC 1774/2002
- Lays down health rules with regards to ABPs and derived products not intended for human consumption
What regulations cover BSE testing?
- EC 999/2001 lays down law regarding monitoring, surveillance and eradication of TSEs
- TSE (England) No. 2) Regs 2010 as amended
- (EC) 854/2004 (official controls) as amended
What regulation covers the control of bee disease?
Mainly the Bees Act 1980