Flashcards in Non-Food Zoonoses - Farm Deck (19):
What proportion of emerging infectious disease is zoonotic?
Define endemic zoonosis and give egs.
Zooonotic disease constantly present in a population
- bovine TB
- cystercercosis and neurosticercosis
- hydatid diseas
- human african trypanosomyasis
What is the proportion of zoonotic pathogens in humans?
Give examples of feaco-oral transmission pathogens
- E coli
Define notifiable and reportable disease and give examples
> Notifiable: statutory requirement to report suspicion of a clinical case of disease eg. brucella, bovine TB, avian influenza
> Reportable: report to the lab which isolated the organism from an animal derived sample eg. salmonella, brucella
When was the zoonoses directive passed?
Which regulations define reporting of zoonotic infections in humans?
Health protection regulations 2010
What is RIDDOR?
Reporting of injuries, diseases and dangerous occourences regulations 2013
> occupational zoonosis of farm animals and vet practicies
Give examples of occupational zoonosis which is non-notifiable?
- resistnat bacteria (AMR)
- Louping ill
- Newcastle disease
- orf (parapoxvirus)
- toxoplasma gondii
- trychophytum spp (ringworm)
What are the main sources of resistance?
Environment, production animals, humans, vets, wildlife, smallies, hospitls, meat, eggs, milk
Which bacteria is most responisble for the majority of resistnece?
What is orf and how may it be identified?
- highly infectious viral infection
- seen most commonly after lambing
- scabby lesions, resolve within a couple of weeks
What is ringworm and how may it be identified?
- fungal infection
- itchy, raised patches with sharp edges
- proobablity of occourence and consequences
When risk analysing disease transmission, does infection = disease?
- occourence of pathogen in animals only (part of transmission pathways)
What are the objectives of risk analysis?
set priorities and select appropriate prevention stategies
What are the 3 elements of risk analysis?
- Risk assessmnet, risk management and risk comunication
What year were the COSHH regulations implimented and what do they consist of?
- assess risks to health due to hazardous substances
- prevent or adequately control exposure
- introduce and maintain control meaures
- reveiw risk assessment and effectiveness of control measures