Flashcards in Organ Systems Deck (23)
What is the function of the Integumentary system?
- Covers body externally
- Protects deeper tissues from injury
- synthesizes vitamin D
- houses cutaneous pain receptors, sweat and oil glands.
What is the Integumentary system comprised of?
What is the function of the Cardiovascular system?
- blood vessels transport blood, which carries O2, CO2, nutrients, wastes, etc
- The heart pumps blood
What is the Cardiovascular system comprised of?
- Blood Vessels
What is the function of the Digestive system?
- Breaks down food into absorbable units, which enter the blood to be distributed to the cells.
What organs/glands make up the Digestive system?
- Oral Cavity
- Small intestine
- Large intestine
What is the function of the Endocrine system?
- Glands secrete hormones that regulate:
What organs/glands is the Endocrine system made up of?
- Pineal gland
- Pituitary gland
- Thyroid gland
- Adrenal gland
- Ovaries/ Testis
What is the function of the Respiratory system?
- Keeps blood constantly supplied with O2 and removes CO2.the exchange of gases occur in the walls of the air sacs of the lungs.
What is the Respiratory system comprised of?
- Nasal cavity
What is the purpose of the Skeletal system?
- Protects and supports body organs
- Provides framework the muscles use to cause movement.
- Blood cells are formed with in bones
- Bones store minerals
What is the function of the Muscular system?
- Allow manipulation of the environment
- Facial expression
- Maintains posture
- Produces heat
What is the Muscular system comprised of?
- Skeletal muscles
What is the function of the Reproductive system?
- Production of offspring
What is the Male reproductive system comprised of?
- Prostate gland
- Ductus deferens
What is the Female reproductive system comprised of?
- mammary glans ( in breasts)
- Uterine tube
What is the purpose of the Urinary system?
- Eliminates nitrogenous wastes from the body.
And Acid base balance of blood
What is the Urinary system comprised of?
- Urinary Bladder
What is the function of the Nervous system?
- responds to internal and external changes, by activating appropriate muscles and glands
What is the Nervous system comprised of?
- Spinal chord
What is the skeletal system comprised of?
What is the purpose of the lymphatic system?
- Picks up fluid leaked from blood vessels returns to blood
- Disposes of debris on lymphatic stream
- Houses white blood cells
- immune system attacks foreign bodies in the body