Flashcards in the structure of the skeletal system Deck (7)
What are the four categories of bones?
• long bones (femur)
• short bones (carpals and tarsals)
• flat or plate bones (skull)
• irregular bones (vertebrae)
What are the functions of the skeletal system?
• movement at joints
• support for muscles and vital organs
• shape for maintaining our basic body shape
• protection, such as the skull protecting the brain
• blood-cell production in the bone marrow
What are the categories for joints?
• hinge (elbow and knee)
• ball and socket (hip and shoulder)
• pivot (wrist)
• saddle (thumb)
• gliding (bones in the hand)
• condyloid (wrist).
What are the three types of connective tissue?
What are tendons?
Very strong, non-elastic cords that join the muscles to the bone
What is cartilage?
A tough but flexible tissue that acts as a buffer between the bones at joints