What are the 6 factors that effect the MAR from the MARS model
What models have we studied that explain personality?
- Myers-Briggs Model
- Five Factor Personality Model
Explain how personaility develops during ones lifetime
Influence by 'nuture' factors are considerable:
- Personality is not stable at birth
- Influenced by socialisatin, life experiences and learning.
- Stabilises during adolescence
- Our self-concept becomes clearer over time and behavior, personality becoems more consistent.
How is personality affected by genetics?
Heredity factors explain around 50% of behavioral tendencies and 30% of temperament.
What is the Five Factor Personality model?
- Conscientiousness: Careful, dependable, self-disciplined
- Agreeableness: Courteous, good-natured, caring
- Neuroticism: Anxious, hostile, depressed
- Openness to experience: Imaignative, curious, sensitive, flexible
- Extroversion: Outgoing, talkative, sociable, assertive
How do we define personality? How can we categorize them?
Relatively enduring pattern of thoughts, emotions, and behaviors that caracterise a person, along with psychological processes behind those characteristics.
- External traits - observable behaviors
- Internal states - thoughts, values, etc inferred from behavior
How do the Five Factor personality traits impact performance?
Conscientiousness and emotional stability are the best indicators of permormance.
Extroversion is linked sales and amangement performance.
Agreeableness is effective in jobs requiring cooperation and helpfullness.
Openness to experience is linked to higher creativity and adaptablility to change.
Give the background to the Myers-Briggs type indicator.
Based on Jungian personality theory, made by Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung, who proposed that personality is primarily represented by the individuals preferences regarding perceiving and judging information.
Give the Myers-Briggs Types
Extroversion vs Introversion
Sensing vs Intuition
Thinking vs Feeling
Perceiving vs Judging
Give the traits for extroversion
- Publicly impressive
- Speaks, then thinking
Traits of introversion
- Thinks, then speaks
Give the traits for a 'sensing' person
- Feet on the ground
Give the traits of an 'Intuiting' person
- Head in the clouds
Give the traits of a 'Thinking' Person
Give the traits of a 'Feeling' person
Give the traits of a 'Judging' person
- Time oriented
- Makes lists / uses them
Give the traits of a 'Perceiving' Person