Flashcards in 4.4 SLP's role Deck (7)
What are the first two roles for SLPs?
- Patient Report/interview
What should SLPs ask to gather patient history?
slide 36 ( alot of info)
What should you do during preoperative counseling?
- Establish relationship and provide support and reassurance for pt. and family; be positive; identify their insurance
- Provide written material
- Review surgery - explaining what they think is going to happen during the surgery and then I fill in the gaps
- Review changes to breathing and talking
- Discuss postoperative speech options
- Indirect assessment
- Oral Mech
- Assess any cognitive or physical limitations
- Asses environment and communication partners
What do you do during post operative counseling?
- Answer questions
- Review speech options
- Laryngectomy vistor
- Oral Mech
- Review changes
- Start implementing speech options, when??
- Help them deal with issues that arise
What are the three post surgery issues?
- Some may have a stoma vent to keep stoma open and big
- Bathing/hygiene issues
- Humidification programs
What are the bathing/hygiene issues?
Shower preferred; don't lock door, shower shield, shampoo at salon