Flashcards in ANS Deck (15):
- Exacerbation of Asthma + COPD
- Peptic Ulcers
- Miosis + Cycloplasm
Anti-Cholinesterase (AchE) Poisoning
Causes, Pres ("DUMBBELSS: Epi + 9), RX (2)?
Organophosphates (ie in Insecticides) irreversibly inhibit AchE.
PRES: Farmers. * "DUMBBELSS" *
- Excitation of CNS & Skel muscle
RX: (Person is too cholinergic therefore we must make them
give them Anti-Cholinergics = Muscarinic Antagonists)
Pres (5), Comp (3, pop affected for each)?
"Hot as a hare, Dry as a bone, Red as a beet, Blind as a bat,
Mad as a hatter."
-↑body temp (due to↓sweating)
- Dry skin & mouth, Urine retention & Constipation
- Flushed skin, Rapid pulse
- Hyperthermia in infants
- Urine retention in men with BPH
- Acute Angle-Closure Glaucoma in elderly
a Agonists (Epi + Brimonidine)
- Ocular hyperemia
- Blurry vision
- Allergic rxs + Pruritus
a1 Blockers / Antagonists
- Orthostatic Hypotension (1st dose only)
- Headache + Dizziness
a2 Blockers / Antagonists (Mirtazapine)
- Sedation (??)
b Blockers / Antagonists
*** Use with caution in Diabetics (may mask signs of hypoglycemia) ***
- CV: Bradycardia, CHF, AV Block
- Exacerbation of Asthma
- CNS: Sedation + Sleep alterations
- Coronary vasospasm
Direct-Coombs+ Hemolytic Anemia
- Orthostatic Hypotension
- Reflex Tachycardia
Drug Class that causes Mydriasis (pupil dilation)?
a-Agonists (Epi + Brimonidine)
*** Therefore CI in Closed-Angle Glaucoma ***
Drug Classes that cause Miosis (pupil constriction)?
- Opioid Analgesics