Flashcards in cerebellum 4 Deck (17):
What are the implications of understanding central pattern generators for the future treatment of spinal cord injury?
1. The presence of CPGs in the human spinal cord, with the coordination between the CPGs also localized in the spinal cord, means that the neural substrate for walking remains intact after spinal cord injury.
2. The appropriate stimulation of these centers could result in appropriate walking movements of the legs.
The somatotopic organization of the primary motor cortex is arranged such that
the feet are most medial and head most lateral and ventral.
Lateral/Ventral premotor cortex: is involved in
Lateral/Ventral premotor cortex: concerned specifically with
movements triggered by external sensory events
Lateral/Ventral premotor cortex: is important for
1. tasks such as making hand for shape of an object you want to grasp
2. plans actions to be executed with delay
Supplementary motor cortex area is involved in
1. motor planning
2. mentally rehearsing a pattern of movements
Supplementary motor cortex area is concerned specifically with
movements that are initially internally
the cortical somatosensory and motor representation of the body is
phantom limb pain is an example of
denervation and why cortical somatosensory is dynamic
phantom limb pain is due to
large reorganization of somatosensory cortex
1. create map on face that correstonds to phantom limb lost
2. modality sensitive, touch cheek--touch phatom limb
3 types of interneurons in cerebellum
3 general effects of cerebellar lesions
What is another name for the neocerebellum
What problems are associated with Synergy?
Problems with Synergy - Ataxia include the 3 D’s:
1. Dysmetria (try to point at something and point at wrong thing)
2. Decomposition of movement
3. Dysdiadochokinesia (rapidly alternating movements)
Is the output of the basal ganglia inhibitory or excitatory?
1. GPI → (GABA -)
2. Thalamus → (Glu +) Cortex.
What is the minimum number of synapses from a cerebellar Purkinje cell (output cell of the cerebellar cortex) to the cerebral cortex?
1. Purkinje synapses on Dentate.
2. That neuron synapses on VA/VL.
3. That neuron synapses on cortex.