Flashcards in Orbit, Eyelids, Lacrimal 4 Deck (13)
1. Complete nasolacrimal obstruction
2. Chronic stasis is risk for infection
Causes of Dacrocystitis
1. Staph, strep and diptheroids frequently infect
2. Gram negatives in diabetic and immune compromised patients
Insert prosthetic drain via bypass
Infection of skin around eye, anterior or orbital septum
Pre-septal cellulitis treatment
1. Treat with oral antibiotics and nasal decongestants
2. In adults and teenagers, adjunct warm compresses
1. Infection posterior to orbital septum
2. Usually due to sinusitis
6. Decreased visual acuity, color, visual field
1. TREAT AGGRESIVELY
2. Many foramina allow spread to brain structures
3. Delay can result in blindness, thrombosis of canvernous sinus and brain abscess
Thyroid eye disease is an _____.
autoimmune disorder associated with Grave’s disease.
Thyroid eye disease signs
1. eyelid retraction (most common sign)
2. lid lag
4. restrictive myopathy
5. compressive optic neuropathy.
Thyroid eye disease pathogenesis
1. via orbital fibroblasts that have CD40 receptors.
2. These receptors induce synthesis of glycosaminoglycans (GAGs) which are responsible for the symptoms of thyroid eye disease.
Thyroid eye disease treatment
1. treat the thyroid problem so that a normal thyroid level is achieved.
2. Most patients only require supportive care as once the thyroid is normal, they eye disease is self limited.