Flashcards in Ch. 38 Conservation of Biology Deck (22):
Current rapid decline in the variety of life on Earth, largely due to the effects of human culture
Goal-Oriented science of species preservation
- scientific studdy of how to slow biodiversity crisis
How does technology affect us?
Advancements place strain on the biosphere. Developed countries are mass consumers with high standard livings that deplete resources.
Layers of O3 in upper atmosphere that protects life on Earth from UV rays
What is depleting the ozone layer?
Chloroflurocarbons are one
How has pesticides affected biodiversity?
Chemical pesticides with DDT resulted in biological magnification - accumulation of persistent chemicals in the living tissues of consumers in food chains.
What is the cause of global warming?
Fossil fuels creating CO2
Warming of atmosphere by gases which absorb infrared radiation and slow the escape from Earth's surface
- raise temp, melt ice caps, flood, habitats change
Small geographic area with an exceptional concentration of species
- extinction hotspot but possible to save lots species tho
Found no where else than this small geographic area
Splitting and consequent isolation of biological populations, usually human-caused habitat degradation
- decrease population and geneflow
Species reproduce success exceeds death rate and new individuals disperse to other areas
Death rate exceeds the reproductive rate
Scientific analysis of the current status of a population or species and predictions of its chances for long term survival
Population Viability analysis
Application of ecological principles to the study of land-use patterns
- scientific study of biodiversity of interacting ecosystem
- species distribution with abiotic distribution
USed to study organism distribution relative to landscape
What are edges?
Prominent features of landscapes. The boundaries between areas.
A series of small clumps or a narrow strip of quality habitat that connects otherwise isolated patches of quality habitat
- can promote dispersal and help sustain population
- harmful for spread of disease, reduce population from source
Using ecological principles to develop way to return degraded ecosystems to conditions to the natural state
The use of living organisms to detoxify and restore polluted, degraded exosystems
Augmentation of ecosystems processes
1) Check if missing factors are limiting
2) Organisms used to add to the ecosystem