Flashcards in Chapter 1 Deck (17):
looks at how individuals, groups, and structures can influence the behavior within an organization. This study is done so that we can use the knowledge to improve organizational outcomes and thereby its effectiveness.
7 focal points of OB
two key areas of OB
jobs and work
3 work aspects
looking at relationships, attempting to attribute causes and effects, and basing our conclusions on scientific evidence, that is, on data gathered under controlled conditions and measured and interpreted in a reasonably rigorous manner.
3 facts of systematic approach
1. belief behavior is not random
2. rather we can identify fundamental consistencies underlying the behavior of all individuals
3. and then modify them to reflect individual differences
Evidence- Based management (EBM)
complements systematic study by basing managerial decisions on the best available scientific evidence,,
"gut feeling" about what others and ourselves "tick"
Disciplines that contribute to the OB field (4)
2. social psychology
seeks to measure, explain, and sometimes change the behavior of humans other animals
considered a branch of psychology, blends concepts form both psychology and sociology to focus on people's influence on one another.
studies people in relation to their social environment or culture
the study of societies to learn about human beings and their activities.
Absolutes in OB
when making decisions you must always take into account situational factors that can change the relationship between two variables
10 challenges/ opportunities for OB
1. responding to economic pressures
2. responding to globalization
3. managing workforce diversity
4. improving customer service
5. improving people skills
6. stimulating innovation and change
7. coping with "temporariness"
8.working in networked organizations
9. helping employees with work life conditions
10. Improving ethical behavior`
Positive Organization Scholarship
examines how organizations develop human strengths, foster vitality and resilience, and unlock potential. The focus is on employee strengths, not their weaknesses