Flashcards in Crisis Intervention-Ch 9, Maltreatment of the Elderly Deck (73)
Elder maltreatment is the most recent form of abuse and neglect in family settings to capture the attention of members of the public and policy makers.
Most older American (age 65 and older) are healthy and live on their own, but after age 80, the risk of _______ due to chronic disease and disorders increases.
Bernard Baruch said that "old age is always 15 yrs older than I am."
in 1999, there were 34.5 million people over 64 representing about one of every 8 Americans
The aging of America section
As the baby boom, generation ages, older population is predicted to grow to
70 million persons by 2030. one of every 5 Americans. will be 65 and older.
In 1999, the 65-74 age group had 18.2 million persons, 75-84 age group had 12.1 million persons and 85+ age group had 4.2 million persons
The aging of America section
greatest growth since 1900 has been the 85+ age group, often called the _____
General characteristics and trends with which intervener should be familiar. Following descriptions are taken from the A Profile of Older Americans: 2000 by the Administration on Aging
1. Gender- in 1999, 141 older women for every 100 older men.
2. Marital status- 77% of older men were married in 1999, versus 43% of older women. Half of older women were widows, 4 times as many widows as widowers.
4. Living Arrangements- most older persons do not live in nursing homes or other institutions. 1.1% age 65-74 live in nursing home, compared to 4.5% age 75-84 and 19% of persons over 84. Of 21 million older persons were head of households, almost 80% were homeowners.
4. Poverty- older persons less likely to live in poverty than younger persons. Highest poverty rate was experienced by older Hispanic women who lived alone.
5. Geographic Distribution- half of older population lives in nine states,led by California, Florida, New York, Texas and Pennsylvania. Florida has highest % of population age 65 or older. followed by Penns, Rhode Island, West Virginia, Iowa and N Dakota
6. Health- Most older Americans are in good health, but a higher %have health problems who are less than 65.
who quoted " Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, The last of life, for which the first was made."
who quoted "Growing old is like being increasingly penalized for a crime you haven't committed."
Older persons are admired for their ___,___ and ___
wisdom,maturity and experience
_____ of the one hundred members of US Senate are 60 yr old or more, as were ___ of the 11 Presidents who have held office since WW11
A process of systematic stereotyping of and discrimination against people because they are old, just as racism and sexism accomplish this with skin color and gender. Older people are categorized as senile, rigid in though and manner, old fashioned in morality and skills.
quinn and Tomita note that ageism is a
Whitton identified a ___________as dominating the medical literature of the first half of the twentieth century.
Decline and failure model of aging
As is true of most forms of prejudice, ____ creates self-fulfilling prophecies.
perhaps the most common effect of ageist attitudes is to lead the intervener to stereotype the older person as "too old" to comprehend what is happening. The ________ is violated more often in dealing with elderly clients.
Right of self-determination
Older persons are victimized in three different circumstances
1. Crimes against the elderly
2. domestic maltreatment- in their homes by members of family or caretakers
3. institutional maltreatment- nursing homes or assisted living facility
Landmark study of the incidence of domestic elder abuse and neglect.The research was conducted by
National Center on Elder Abuse NCEA
" the use of physical force that may result in bodily injury, physical pain or impairment.
NCEA definition of Physical abuse
"nonconsensual sexual contact of any kind with an elderly perons.
NCEA definition of Sexual abuse
the infliction of anguish, emotional pain or distress.
NCEA definition of "emotional or psychological abuse
"the refusal or failure to fulfill any part of a persons obligation or duties to an elder.
NCEA definition of Neglect
the desertion of an elderly person by an individual who has assumed responsibility for providing care or by a person with physical custody of an elder.
NCEA definition of Abandonment
The illegal use of an elders funds, property or assets
NCEA definition of Financial or Material Exploitation
behaviors of an elderly person that threaten his/her own safety.
NCEA definition of Self-neglect
according to NCEA, the most important indicators of maltreatment are
frequent unexplained crying and unexplained fear of or suspicion of particular persons in the home.
Specific indications for each form of maltreatment
1. Physical abuse- bruises, black eye, lacerations, rope marks, broken eyeglasses, signs of being restrained. Behavioral indications of abuse include report of abuse by victim, changes in elders behavior, caregivers refusal to allow visitors to see elder.
2. Sexual Abuse- bruises around breasts or genitals, venereal disease or genital inflections, vaginal or anal bleeding. reports of sexual asslt or rape by victim
3. Emotional/psychological abuse- emotional agitation, extreme withdrawal and nonresponsiveness, elders reports.
4. Neglect- dehydration, malnutrition, bedsores, poor hygiene, untreated health problems, unsafe or unsanitary living conditions and elders report
5. Abandonment- Desertion of an elder
6. Financial or material exploitation- sudden changes in banking practices, addition of names on signature cards, changes in will, dissappearance of funds or possessions
7. self neglect- older person not taking care of oneself
Much maltreatment of elders in domestic settings goes unreported and undetected, creating a ______ of maltreatment like that found for other crimes.