Flashcards in CVD - cardiometabolic syndrome Deck (6)
IDF definition of the metabolic syndrome
Abdominal obesity + 2 or more of:
•Elevated TG (> 1.7 mmol/L) and/or
•low HDL-C (130/85 mmHg) or treatment
•Hyperglycaemia (FPG>5.6mmol/l or IGT or diagnosed type 2 diabetes).
•Europoids (>94 cm M; >80 cm F);
•South Asia & Chinese (>90 cm M; >80 cm F);
What does abdominal obesity increase the risk of?
How is metabolic syndrome helpful clinically? (what does it help us predict)?
- increased CVD mortality
- increased risk of CHD & diabetes
(3) metabolic syndrome treatment strategies
- address glucose intolerance + prevent diabetes
- address dyslipidaemia (reduce CV risk)
- treat hypertension (reduce CV risk)
What (4) drugs can be used to reduce CHD in high risk patients?
- Statins (30-40%)
- ACE inhibition (20-25%)
- Aspirin (10-15%)
- Fibrates (15-25%)