DEA + Ethnicity (In) Flashcards
What are the 4 internal factors that explain DEA amongst ethnic groups?
- Labelling + teacher racism
- Pupil IDs
- Pupil responses to subcultures
- Institutional racism
Describe Gillborn’s study
Spent 2 years studying inner-city comprehensive
Classroom observations + interviews with students/ teachers
Found teachers = quick discipline black students; saw them as threat to authority
Often misinterpreted behaviour as threatening, no threat = intended
Pupils responded to label + behaved -vely
Teachers = less likely to see pupils form other ethnic backgrounds as threatening, even if behaved in same way
Much of conflict between white teachers + black students = from racial stereotypes rather than actual behaviour
What are the 3 pupil IDs that Archer ID?
- Ideal pupil ID - white mc, seen as achieving the right way through ability
- Pathologised pupil ID - Asian pupil who overachieves through hard work rather than natural ability
- Demonised pupil ID - black/ white wc pupil, seen as unintelligent, peer-led + culturally deprived
When referring to pupil responses to subcultures + DEA amongst ethnic groups, what are the 2 studies that you should mention?
- Fuller: black girls at a London comprehensive
2. Sewell: 4 responses to racial stereotyping
How has marketisation led to institutional racism?
Gives schools more scope to select pupils
Allows -ve stereotypes to influence decisions about shook admissions
Selection procedure can lead to ethnic segregation - minorities failing to get into better schools
What is an ethnocentric curriculum?
Describes an attitude/ policy which gives priority to 1 culture/ particular ethnic group while disregarding the others
Reflects culture of dominant ethnic group
Give 2 examples of the ethnocentric curriculum
- European languages being taught more than Asian languages
2. Ignores ethnic diversity + focuses on European issues throughout history (Ball)