Name some permissions, records and regulations you need when you want to work with animals
- permission to use animals for research
- facility permission
- breeding permission
- GMO permission
- Import permission
- permission to use animal by-products (organs etc)
- transportation permit + education
- ethical approval
- statistical records
- animal records
- proof of education
- standard operating procedures
- know your legislation
For which species do you need a purpose breeding permission?
- every species if GM vertebrate
- rodents, rabbits, ferret, cat, dog and quail
- zebrafish and amphibians
Name five allowed invasive methods for ID marking of animals
- freeze marking
- ear tags
- mouse, rat, hamster, garbil, veil and guinea pigs may also be marked with ear marking by scissors
What information is required in animal records?
- permission number for research and ethics permit/breeding permit
- stored at animal facility for 5 years
- care and supervisor
- born or wenaed date or arrival date
- medical record
- if found dead: date, cause, signature
- if sold: date, receivers name and address
- experimental procedures + date + signature
- humane endpoints
- end of experiment
- assessment level of pain/discomfort
- in case of re-use: date + signature from vet
Name the tasks of the swedish regional ethics committees
- evaluate scientific valitidy
- evaluate welfare cost to the animals
- evaluate ethical considerations
What are the levels of grading of discomfort and pain?
- terminal/ organ --> euthanasia for organs
- non-recovery acute operation
Describe what the "mild" grading of discomfort and pain includes
- Blood sampling in peripheral vessels
- Studies done on anaesthetized animals that will be euthanised without waking up
- injections with non-irritating substances
Moderate grading of discomfort and pain
- major surgical procedures where the animal will wake up and with appropriate post operative care and pain relief
- injections with irritating substances
- adding several mild procedures will make it moderate
Severe grading of discomfort and pain
- major surgical procedures on anaesthetized animals without adequate post op pain relief
- causing severe diseases without any treatment regime to ease the suffering
- adding several moderate procedures will make it severe
Which parts are included in the ethical application form?
- general information: staff, project leader...
What kind of procedures should be included in the application?
- Everything that is not mentioned in the plan is not allowed to be performed!
For which types of research applies specific regulation?
- research on experimental joint diseases in rodents
- tissue sampling for gene expression
- toxicity testing
- generation of GMO animals
The UU template for health assessment consists of two parts. Which?
- for use before experiment starts and during breeding of non-GMO animals
- Extended. After research starts and breeding of GMO animals
Functions/organs included in the health assessment
- general condition
- exudate of prophyria and/or eye inflammation
- movement and posture
- weight (added in extended)
- appetite (added in extended)
- urinary and bowel function (added in extended)
- body scoring in cancer research
For which animals is ID marking mandatory?