Flashcards in Evaluating Subcultural Theories Deck (6)
What are the similarities between Merton, Cohen and cloward and ohlin?
- w/c commit crime due to lack of opportunities
- most crimes committed by w/c
- w/c and young are denied legitimate opportunities to achieve money success
- deviance stems from how p’s respond to situation
What are the differences between Cohen and cloward and ohlin?
cloward and ohlin:
- clarify better why p’s commit non utilitarian crimes
- more applied to today’s society
- provide and explanation for different types of crime in w/c
Who criticised sub cultural theories?
How does Miller criticise subcultural theories?
- rejects that lower class are frustrates by failure
- argues lower class have independent subculture with its own values
- this subculture doesn’t value success in the first place
- deviance arises from attempting to achieve own goals not societies
How does Matza criticise subcultural theories?
- most delinquents are not strongly committed to subculture
- most drift in and out of delinquency
- deviance is a result of subterranean values
- SV: values at margins of society e.g self expression and spontaneity
- most p’s control deviant desires
- SV are particularly attractive to certain member of w/c