Flashcards in M 7 Study Deck (22):
1. (The Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they give their hands a ceremonial washing, holding to the tradition of the elders. When they come from the marketplace they do not eat unless they wash. And they observe many other traditions, such as the washing of cups, pitchers and kettles.)
2. (that is, devoted to God)
3. (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)
4. (which means "Be opened!")
She went home and found her child lying on the bed, and the demon gone.
Where do evil thoughts come from?
7:21 For it is from within, out of a person's heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder,
In fact, as soon as she heard about him, a woman whose little daughter was possessed by an impure spirit came and fell at his feet.
1. These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.
2. Honor your father and mother,
3. Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.
3. Syrian Phoenicia
5. Sea of Galilee
So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, "Why don't your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?"
For Moses said, 'Honor your father and mother,' and, 'Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.'
1. You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!
3. Be opened!
Jesus Honors a Syrophoenician Woman's Faith
That Which Defiles
He went on: "What comes out of a person is what defiles them.
What are merely human rules?
7:7 They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.
What defiles a person?
7:15 Nothing outside a person can defile them by going into them. Rather, it is what comes out of a person that defiles them."
Jesus Heals a Deaf and Mute Man
By their tradition, the Pharisees did what?
7:13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that."
The Pharisees and some of the teachers of the law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus
At this, the man's ears were opened, his tongue was loosened and he began to speak plainly.
To observe their own traditions, the Pharisees did what?
7:9 And he continued, "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!
1. Why don't your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?
2. Are you so dull?
3. Don't you see that nothing that enters a person from the outside can defile them?