Flashcards in The Digestive System - The Mouth (T2) Deck (1):
Describe in detail the mouth and the part it plays in the digestive system..
- the region where both physical and chemical processes begin
- physical digestion involves the breakdown of food using the teeth and tongue from larger to smaller pieces
- this increases the surface area of the food particles for enzyme activity to take place
- chemical digestion involves the production of amylase
- salivary amylase is produced by the salivary glands and is found in the saliva
- it begins the carbohydrate digestion, speeding up the breakdown of starch into maltose
- the now moist food is rolled into a ball like structure called the bolus and swallowed
- a flap of skin called the epiglottis prevents the food from going down the trachea
- the food enters the oesophagus...